Thursday, May 21, 2009

UFO hunting in Tucson


The woman who published a small libertarian newspaper asked me, “Do you want to come UFO hunting with us tonight?” This would be a first for me, so I gamely accepted her invitation.

With my Pentax and tripod in tow, we picked up the others, bought a case of beer, and headed twenty miles NW of Tucson to a spot near the former Titan missile silo complex.

I quickly learned the art of UFO hunting. Drink some beer, erect tripod and camera, open up the aperture all the way, set on time exposure, and wait.......and wait.........and wait. Bats darted about, picking off small insects with the efficiency of a Hoover. There was a little conversation among us, but not so much as to ruin the effect of our mission--to locate and photograph aliens.

On the way to the location, the woman told me that her boyfriend was a hybrid, half human and half alien. She referred to him as a Visitor. I was happy she left him at home that night, and didn't bother to ask which parent was the alien, though I hoped it was the father.

I downed my fourth beer quickly, and looked to the Southwest. A blinking light above the horizon caught my eye. I alerted the others to it. It must be a plane, I thought, but it wasn't very high in the sky and the light was too irregular for a beacon. I stared hard and got behind my camera's 300 mm telephoto lens. A thin dark outline broke the arc of the sky 20 degrees behind the light. It was the edge of a mountain range, and the blinking light was a car traversing a tree-lined mountain road.

The aliens were probably two college students looking for a secluded spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment